Saturday, February 11, 2012

Lazy Daisy Oatmeal Cake

I woke up this morning to a lovely surprise email from Jason of Goddamn Electric Bill to say that I won a contest, so soon enough I will be receiving a signed copy of the new album Jazz on vinyl. If you haven't listened to GDEB, you must. I am so excited. His music was the soundtrack of my first year of college when we would turn the black light on in my bedroom and stare at the blacklight posters and itunes visualizer and life was absolutely perfect and simple.



In other news, my mom made this delicious cake a few weeks ago so I made it again because I swear it is the greatest thing I have ever tasted.














Recipe

Cake

1 1/4 cups boiling water
1 cups oats (quick or old fashioned)
1/2 cup of butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350.
Pour boiling water over oats; cover and let stand 20 minutes.
Beat butter until creamy; gradually add sugar and brown sugar and beat until fluffy. Blend in vanilla and eggs. Add oats and mix well.
Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Add to creamed mixture; mixx well.
Pour batter into well greased and floured 9" pan.
Bake for 50-55 minutes.

Frosting

1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3 tablespoons half and half
1/2 cup nuts, chopped
3/4 cup coconut, shredded or flaked

For frosting, combine all ingredients. Spread evenly over cake. Place back in oven and broil until frosting becomes bubbly (about 2 minutes).


I put mine in a 9x13 pan and cooked it instead for 35 minutes, and then doubled all of the frosting ingredients because the frosting is the best part. :)


My birthday is in five days and this week my father and I are going to take a trip to Midwest Photo Exchange together to continue our look for DSLRs and oh my goodness I am just so ready to start taking photos everyday again. I want to start a 365, I never had the courage to do it before but I feel like with graduation coming up, what a better way to document such a change my life is going to take.

No comments:

Post a Comment